Hello everyone! So tomorrow is St. Patrick’s day and I will be heading to my local parade. It is running for the first time in 17 years! Can’t wait to see how it goes 🙂 Anyway I thought I’d share some fun facts about Ireland, also known as the Republic of Ireland or Éire. Those at home and abroad, I hope you enjoy 🙂
1.We are the only country that have an instrument as a national symbol.
2. Star Wars films some of it’s shoots on Skellig Michael, an island off the coast of Kerry.
3.We are the 3rd largest island in Europe, 20th in the world.
4. In rural Ireland, one of the most popular radio programs is still the local obituaries.
5. 15 of the main railway stations are named after the 1916 leaders, for example (James) Connolly Station.
6.Newgrange is older than the Giza pyramids & Stonehenge!
7. We have won the Eurovision a record SEVEN times.
8. Tedfest (Father Ted) has been going since 2004. If you have never seen Father Ted, please check it out! You can thank me later.
9. Some of our famous writers include James Joyce, W.B Yeats, Oscar Wilde & Roddy Doyle among a LOT more.
10. Some famous actors include Jonathon Rhys Myers, Brendan Gleeson (and his offspring), Maureen O Hara, Gabriel Byrne, Pierse Brosnan and Saoirse Ronan. Again, a lot more too! (We are a talented bunch)
11. Some Irish films include My Left Foot, Brooklyn, Room, The Commitments and The Guard.
12. Paddy’s day (not Patty’s day. Never) is celebrated throughout the whole world. Ya know, because everybody loves us so much.
13. Our most successful Olympic sport is boxing.
14. Contrary to stereotype only 9% of Irish are natural redheads.
15. Dublin comes from the Irish Dubh Linn- black pool.
16. The shamrock is a national symbol which represented the Holy Trinity.
17. In 2002 we were the first country to introduce an environmental tax (bag levy) and in 2004 the smoking ban.
18. The Late Late Show is the longest running chat show in the world! In the world!
19. Roughly 10 million pints of Guinness is sold in the world everyday!
20. While we’re on the subject, Arthur Guinness signed a 9,000 year lease at St James Gate in 1759 at £45 a year!
21. Playboy became legal in 1995 as did divorce.
23. In 2015, Ireland became the first country to legalise same sex marriage by popular vote. Yay equality!
24. Ireland is nicknamed the ‘Emerald Isle’ because of our green landscapes.
25. There are no indigenous snakes in Ireland (Paddy got rid of them).
26. Northern Ireland is the six counties in the north of the country which is under British rule (hence the Republic).
27. People from all over the world come to surf our waves on the West Coast.
28. Other famous people include Niall Horan, Conor Mc Gregor, Seamus (WWE), Bob Geldof and Bono.
29. The Irish Tricolour was first flow in 1848 but became famous after the Easter Rising in 1916. The green represents Catholic and orange for Protestant. The white in between is for peace.
Well that’s enough random facts for now. I hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow 🙂