I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Didn’t get up to much myself today but have exciting plans tomorrow. I’m heading to Suzanne Jackson’s workshop which I will be writing about after 🙂
So this happened last Saturday but I’ve been thinking about it all week and you know what? If I can’t use my blog to vent then what is the point? So here it is:
For any of you who don’t know (which is basically all of you) I have short hair. Like Ruby Rose/Miley Cyrus hair. I love it but the shaved bits grow so quick. It costs me €25 to go to a hairdressers to get it done. I don’t need it trimmed every 2/3 weeks only shaved. So I thought I would see if I could ask one of the local barbers to shave the side and this is probably €10 which means I could afford to call in every 2/3 weeks. Yes I’m being cheap, because I’m poor. I promise when I’m rich and famous I’ll spend more- actually I wouldn’t spend more I’d just tip even more.
So on Saturday I went into a barbers. There were three women cutting three men’s hair. I stood there for a minute until one of them finally acknowledged me.
- You OK?
- Hiya, yeah I was just wondering if you would shave my hair?
- This is a barbers.
- Oh I know yeah, so you wouldn’t? (Went to walk out)
- (Second woman) Like we wouldn’t be able to blend that.
- Ah no like it’s just the razor.
- (First woman) Is it just an undercut?
- Yeah it’s just the sides.
- (Second woman) No we couldn’t do that.
- Alright that’s grand (went to walk out)
- (Second woman) Like it’s four years for mean and four for women (training)
- Well it’s just a razor but it’s grand.
And I left, feeling a little humiliated. Their tone was so snarky. If you want to say you’re a traditional barber and won’t serve women fine. I could live with that. But what annoyed me is that they were trying to convince me that it was because shaving my hair was different than a man. You need different training to shave a head if there boobs attached t the body. In all reality though my haircut is a boy’s haircut so even if I did need it blended you obviously aren’t a good barber if you can’t do it!