Recently someone (a guy) asked me how was I still single, because I seem really cool. This isn’t the first time I’ve been asked. I find guys ask this because they think it’s a compliment, maybe they think I’ll gush and fall for them. But this isn’t the way to impress me or get my attention. I can’t recall a single woman asking me this question. And I find it hard to believe that men get asked this question often.
It got me thinking anyway. When people ask this question I feel it implies that the only reason someone can be single is because a “suitor” hasn’t chosen to be with them. Nothing to do with our choices. I’ll be honest it does make you think “Wait why am I single? What’s wrong with me?” And so I came up with some reasons why I’m single. You can pick one or all of them, because they’re all true (at some level).
Why am I single? Because:
- I want to be
- I have high expectations
- Of wrong choices I have made with men
- Of mistakes I’ve made
- I find it hard to trust
- I haven’t found ‘the one’
- I haven’t found someone I can put up with
- I haven’t found someone who loves horror as much as me
- I haven’t found someone who loves me enough
- I haven’t found someone who’s not a massive dickhead
- I fear commitment
- I’m not emotionally or mentally stable enough right now for a relationship
- I’m too young to settle down
- I’m too old to waste time on fuckboyz
- I’m still trying to get my own life together without worrying about another person too
- I sometimes don’t have enough time to shower and eat never mind have to put time in with another person
- I like flirting and enjoy my little crushes
- I can’t commit to owning a dog right now never mind a human
- Of my friends who are in horrible relationships
- I don’t put up with shit anymore
So there we are. Some reasons why I’m single right now. Maybe next time a guy asks me I’ll send them this list and see if they’re still interested haha!